I also wanted to make something for my little nephew, and because I seem to come up with ideas at the last minute and then I am stuck with a deadline, I can always finish my work in that time, albeit I end up staying up past my bedtime. I have wanted to try 2-at-a-time socks for a while now and since he is just a little over a year old it was a good mix. I also really wanted to get into making socks because every sock knitter swears it's addictive and I always envied their FO's peeking out from thier shoes specifically chosen to show off their socks. A good way to start would be to make Kale some tiny socks. His foot measures 4 1/2" so I found a pattern for child's small socks that should fit a 2 year old. I of course check ravelry and many people making the small size said that they were too small... ok so I went up to a child's medium which is for a 6-8 year old. As I was making them I could see they were going to be too big but thats ok, better they were too big than too small, he can grow into them. When I finished them I had the idea in my head that I really wanted to give him something he can wear now, and since I had the hang of the 2-at-a-time socks I can whip up a smaller pair quick right? Of course I had one day to make them. I knit all day and finished a second pair of socks for him, and these ones were about 5 inches long, they should fit good. Well we went over to see him and give him his socks and the smaller pair I couldn't even get over his toes (with the cuff fully stretched!) The too big, 6-8 year old socks fit him! Perfectly! Holy cow he has big feet. Luckily he is expecting a new baby brother or sister in July and they can have the smaller socks, but I coulnd't believe he fit the big socks. I was proud of them and got a couple pictures (with Kale's help of course)
Now I think I'm getting the hang of socks, and want some for myself, I want to see what handmade socks feel like, I want them to show from my shoes! My dad even told me that he was chilly the other night so he put on the socks I made him for Christmas and he warmed right up :) It's so rewarding that people appreciate the hard work I put into my projects.
It sounds like you had a great Valentine's Day with Jeremy :) We checked out the new Walmart too and it sure is big, but not like we're going to go there very often when we live next the one in the east end. The socks look really nice, especially on Kale.
ReplyDelete