Tuesday, November 17, 2009

First socks and new beret!

Well I have been busy at my holiday knitting... with knitting for myself in between. I decided I am going to scale back this year and make just a few gifts and this time I am not waiting until christmas eve! haha. I have wanted to try sock knitting for some time as it seems everyone boast how fun and addictive they are. I shyed away from them because of second sock syndrome (which I knew I'd fall prey to) and also because I am an instant gratification knitter. I have made one sock so far using Briggs & Little Tuffy yarn. I am very proud of my one sock! I am using the heavy sock pattern (also Briggs & Little). It is probably as close to instant gratification sock knitting as it comes. They are nice and thick and will be very warm. I was told that the heel turning was going to be hard (of course from non-sock knitters) when in actuality it wasn't hard in the least. If you can knit, you can turn a heel. On the advice of TheCottonCrafter I knitted up until the toe, which I threaded with a lifeline, and I will give them to my dad like that to ensure they fit properly. He can try them on Christmas day and I can finish them that day. Since these are my first socks, I would hate to do all this work just for them not to fit. Here is a picture of what I have so far:



I haven't decided what else I am going to knit, but I know my sister will ask for something as well as my mom. I have been knitting a lot for my sister lately. She lives away from home at the moment and she is a real homebody. As a result I think she is a little depressed. She also seems to be a trend follower and I am flattered that she likes my knitting and actually wears what I make her. I do find it hard to knit for others though, I am a selfish knitter and usually lose interest soon after starting.

Since my ravelry queue is huge and growing I decided to make something for myself. My mom and I were going to a couple craft shows and I wanted to have some new knitting to wear. I have been wanting to make Gretel and needed it for the next day. I did it although it took me alllll day. I even took it to a friends house and knit while visiting. I REALLY like it! Ysolda's patterns are usually awesome. I'm not sure if hats suit me but I am wearing them proudly anyways.

My hat knit in Briggs & Little Regal (Turquoise):



No comments:

Post a Comment