Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dyeing Silk

I had some hankies I wanted to dye to make the mawata mitts like the Yarn Harlot. I used this tutorial (sorry some of the pictures are blurry)

I used about 44 g of silk and soaked them in vinegar for a day




As the hanky was draining, I got my dyes ready



I poured my dyes on and let them sit for a while to penetrate the hankies


I then baked them in the over at 185F for 30 mins. When I took them out I let them sit in warm warter again ans let some of the dye leech out. I hung them up to dry and they came out way different than I expected lol


I am going to try it again but the next time I am going to split the stack in half so the dye penetrates evenly. and both mitts will be the same(ish). It was fun though!

No comments:

Post a Comment