We finally arrived in Lake Louise today after a scary, very long drive. The roads were terrible and at some points you couldn't even see the lanes. We stopped in Strathmore after 8 and a half hours of white knuckle driving and took a break. Today we drove the rest of the way and ended up at our destination. It was the last day of the ice sculpture festival and we wanted to check it out this year.
I of course had to stop at the Quivit store and buy a couple balls of luxury yarn, and... it was on sale! I bought some pima cotton and some 50/50 bison merino yarn as well as 3 scarf patterns. Quivit comes from artic muskox and is supposed to be one of the most precious fibres (or at least that is what thier pamphlet says) and is softer than cashmere and warmer than wool, it also seems light as a feather. I also snagged a blurry pic of the Vicuna yarn...$210 for something like 155 yards.

I would also like to stop at the Quivit in Banff and Knit & Caboodle in Canmore.
Our stay here has been ok so far, our room is really nice and the food has been good. The view out of our window is breathtaking and the temperature isn't too bad (cold enough to wear my knitting but not so cold you don't even want to think about going outside.) Tomorrow we are going to do a few km hike to Mt. Agnes and there is supposed to be an old teahouse there. We are also planning to go on a sleigh ride into the mountains and relax a bit before we head to Edmonton on wed.
I have been working on another snapdragon tam which I hope will be a better size than my last one. I also brought needles to make some mitts for a friend (with yarn I buy in Canmore) and a shawl and another cabled hat.
Hope the drive home is better for you!! its blizzarding here!! The restaurant is dead so i am doing lots of knitting, my mittens are now both back on the needles and the insides are being worked!
ReplyDeletehave a safe rest of your trip!