I have been working REALLY hard on our lawn this year. This is our first house and I want it to look good. I have been pulling dandilions.. hundreds of them... everyday. Morning, noon and evening. I bought this handy weed puller and it is slicker than snot on a rooster's lip (as my dad would say) I have even pulled out dandilions that have a root over a foot and a half long! Our lawn also has a few dips in it, where I think a vehicle parked at one time in the house's history. When digging out the dandilions I have also come across a lot of rocks in the same area which leads me to believe it used to be a gravel driveway. We have also fertilized and used a crap load of grass seed.
Jeremy and I made some boxes for raised gardens. They are a bit small (only 4' X 4') but they are a good start for now, we can expand on them later. I just need dirt. I bought some cucumber plants, 2 types of tomatoes, 2 different raspberry bushes, some onions, potatoes, and carrot seeds. I also have a giant rhubarb bush and I think I will plant my raspberries down at that end too. The rain has greened up our lawn a lot after Jeremy fertilized it. and we used the sod that we dug out to make the gardens to fill the dips in our yard.
I have a couple bigger flower beds along the side of the house and the front. I don't think I will do anything with the side this year unless I can find some sort of filler, and in the front bed I have a hosta, irises and some day lilies (all given to me by my mom) I have a few pots and I want some sort of windowy long pot to put on the railing of my front porch. Right now we have a huge fence blocking our house from the street. Our plan for the future will be to replace it with a shorter fence. (We like the fence because it keeps jenny in the yard. So by the time we tear it down the yard should look pretty spiffy and it will be like an unveiling :P It's no where near ready yet.
I think my mom is getting a little frustrated with me and my phone calls. I know nothing about gardening and her yard looks so beautiful (it is what I am striving for)
We bought a reel mover for our lawn and it works surprisingly awesome!! My mom convinced Jeremy and I that they aren't like they used to be. Jeremy has nightmares of his grandmas mower and he swears it was made out of cast iron haha. It only cost us about $70 and it is amazing, I actually asked Jeremy if I could try it out when he was using it because it looked like fun :S
We also have a bird feeder in our back tree mostly for Rider's (our black feisty cat) viewing pleasure, and the bird's have been pigs with the food. I bought a giant bag and its already gone. When I fill the feeder, the food is all gone by morning. Crazy.
On a final note, Jeremy and I are starting a diet next week. It will be a big change for us and I hope it will have big results... or small I guess :P It is desgined to help you get used to smaller portions. Jeremy and I split a meal for 4 in half, and we always eat until we are stuffed. We need to stop doing that. In highschool I weighed 120 lbs and I want to get closer to that size now. I don't feel good about myself at all and I want that to change. This diet will also force us to eat a small breakfast and drink lots of water (instead of pop) and I am looking forward to it and the results.
No comments:
Post a Comment